Flashing… my subfloor

My goal for these first two weeks of construction is to get the subfloor done.  For a while,  I had hoped that maybe I could get some walls up, but I think it’s going to be a completed subfloor.  I am not working as many hours every day as I had hoped, as I cannot work alone during this stage of the build.  Turning over sections of the subfloor alone just isn’t feasible.  So my schedule is restricted, nonetheless, construction is moving forward.

Today, most of the flashing is done, we had to stop working on the trailer as thunder rumbled in the distance (didn’t feel wise to work with metal when there was thunder for some reason) and I had to go and by an extra piece of the galvanized flashing I am using, as I miscalculated when I first purchased the flashing.  In the end the slow pace is working out well.  Every morning my father and I bring in a set of realizations that help us move forward.  This morning our realizations had to do with wrapping the flashing up the edges of the framing of the subfloor.  My original plan of folding the flashing over the edges of the framing didn’t work well with the flashing I ended up buying.

Most of what I have read recommends aluminum flashing for the underside of the subfloor.  The decking of my trailer and the wood I am using on the outer edges of the subfloor are pressure treated, and the chemicals used in pressure treating the wood can react with aluminum.  So I am going with galvanized flashing (I would tell you the metal that has been galvanized if I knew what kind of metal it is). The galvanized flashing that I was able to get is much thicker than the aluminum flashing and possibly also less flexible than aluminum, so wrapping it over the edges of the subfloor was far from pretty and left space for water to well in, so today all of the excess flashing was cut off.  I am also using a product by Bakor called Blueskin WP 200, to seal the seams of the flashing and I am being possibly a little extra cautious and am using it wherever the flashing comes into contact with the pressure treated wood.  Possibly overkill, on the other hand, this is a section of the house that will not be easy to go back and redo once I am further along and I want to prevent as much corrosion as I can.

Tomorrow, a welder comes to add extra threaded rods to my trailer, as the rods that are already welded onto my trailer are not long enough.  Once the new rods are welded on, we can drill new holes in the sublfoor, set the 3 sections of the subfloor onto the trailer right-side up and move onto insulating and covering the whole thing up with plywood.  Then it’s onto framing the walls and I have to decide exactly where my door will be.

Flashing my trailer.  I understand flashing usually requires less clothing, but this is a different kind of flashing with sharp edges involved.
We are getting the first piece of flashing on. The first piece should have been the last one to go on as you should start at the other end of the trailer so that when your trailer is on the road water the seams of the flashing do not encourage water to get in. So we put this piece on and started again at the other end.
IMG_0075
This is one view of the Blueskin all cut up and ready to edge the flashing.
IMG_0076
Making sure it’s square.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s