The sides of the house are covered in siding! My original order of interior and exterior siding was not enough. So, on Friday, JTM Scierie, a local sawmill, from whom I ordered my ridge beam and siding, delivered the rest of the exterior siding and trim that I needed. We finished putting up the trim on the rest of the house excluding the dormers and then we got to work on the siding. Finishing up the siding on the main sections of the four exterior walls was pretty straightforward, the whole process slowed down as soon as we hit the angled sections on the two short walls.
I have discovered that my brain is not comfortable with some of the pattern making required in construction. Figuring out how to adjust angles and how to trace out sections that have to be cut out makes my brain hurt. Fortunately, Stefan was kind enough to get down off the ladder when need be to figure out a new angle on the saw or cutout, getting down off the ladder helped him stay warm. My neighbour was also kind enough to lend me his table saw so we had an easier time ripping down siding this weekend. I have not worked a table saw before and Stefan set about to teach me how to use it, but it turns out that learning how to use a table saw in subfreezing temperatures while wearing gloves is not strongly advised. Which is a drag because it slowed us down a little, but I got to keep all my fingers, so all in all, I’m glad I am waiting to learn how to use a table saw.
The dormers didn’t have any strapping on them when we started putting up the siding, so all of the strapping for the dormers had to be cut and installed. Unfortunately, we ran out of the 1×3 we were using for strapping. The roof is supposed to be installed this coming week and getting the strapping up will help the roofers. So we put up as much as we could. Fortunately, I cut almost all of the strapping for the angled sides of the dormers, so we won’t have to worry about remembering to many of the angles needed for that strapping.
We did get to put up the trim and siding on the face of one of the dormers. What a difference it makes to have siding up. It’s really starting to look like a house. It will look so much better once the blue tarp is down. That poor tarp has seen better days.
To finish up this weekends build, we caulked the windows on the main floor and the door. I am not particularly comfortable caulking. First of all, it makes me giggle every time I have to say I am going to caulk something, because I’m a little bit twisted and spend most of my life with my mind in or very close to the gutter. This weekend I discovered why I have so much trouble caulking (see I’m giggling to myself as I even write it). I have trouble caulking because my fingers are too small. If you haven’t had to seal an edge with caulk before that may sound really strange. The process involves laying a bead of caulk along the edge you wish to seal, then spraying it lightly with some soapy water (a step that Stefan taught me, which does make things a little easier) and then you take your finger and with gentle pressure, move it along the caulk so that you spread the caulk enough to create a good seal. When I attempt to swipe the sealant with my finger, I end up removing most of the sealant, apparently my thumb is my only digit big enough to tackle the job.
We may not be able caulk the dormer windows until spring because it was already a bit cold to install the caulk this weekend and then it needs a few days above freezing to cure.