The exterior siding on my tiny house is done! This weekend we finished up the siding on the dormers and it is really satisfying to see the house with all of its siding completed. Unfortunately, the roof wasn’t able to be done this past week because the 4″ screws weren’t delivered. So, fingers crossed, the roof will get done this week.
In order to put up the siding on the dormers, the flashing had to go up along the front and two sides of the dormer where they meet the roof line. Aluminum flashing 4×4 L flashing was cut to size and nailed into place with the roofing nailer and then strips of weather guard was installed on the side of the flashing that was on the roof. All of this to keep water out. After the flashing was installed, the trim was put up and then the siding.
The angled sides of the dormers ended up going more quickly than expected. Getting the angles for the slope of the roof took a bit of time, but once that was done, it was a matter of getting one piece cut and checking that the angles were right (there angles were not the same for each dormer – some of that due to the insulation, the flashing, etc) and then cutting it to size and then using that piece as a template for the piece above it. I was rocking the mitre saw, changing the angle of the saw and making some simple notches. I then would run the cut pieces to Stefan, who was up on the scaffolding or a ladder and he would check the fit, get me to adjust the size and then install them. The last couple of pieces on each side of the dormers were the trickiest, requiring lots of different angles. There wasn’t much waste and I should have enough siding left over to build a small utility shed on the tongue side of the house.
Once all the siding was up, we moved the interior siding that was delivered back in October into the tiny house. I started to move it early this week with the help of my aunt and two of my cousins. It became clear that my original plan for getting the interior siding into the tiny house was not going to work out. So we left the job half done and Stefan and I finished it this weekend. Stacking 16′ long boards inside a 20’10” house takes patience and delicacy.
Next step, a roof (everyone send good thoughts out for a delivery of 4″ metal roofing screws on Tuesday), then getting the electrical and gas lines roughed in, so that the spray foam insulation can go in. Once that is done, the interior can begin.