Tag Archives: rafters

Cutbacks and Getting Ready for a Roof

During this past week, I was puttering around my sheathed tiny house when realized that I had not measured the width of my tiny house.  When the ridge beam was put in place, the height of the trailer was discussed – because the plans I bought clearly state that the house be built for the legal road height of 13’6″ (or 4.15m).  What it isn’t as clear obvious about is the width of the house.  The width of the house is there, but there is no obvious statement such as “make sure your house is no wider than 8’6″ (or 2.6m)“.  So I measured the width of my tiny house and it was 8’10” wide.  I have not done much research into building my house wider than 8’6″ because I have no desire to have to get a wide load permit, or move my house with a vehicle larger than a heavy-duty pick up truck as that would be a little more complicated than renting a pick up from a car rental company.   All this to say, we had to make some cut backs this weekend.  All of the rafters had to be cut back.

Hanging out on the roof, removing the fascia.
Hanging out on the roof, removing the fascia.

The rafters for the dormers already had the fascia installed, so that had to be removed and reinstalled.  I am very glad I didn’t have to figure out the math of how much had to be cut off each rafter as they are on an angle, and generally that kind of math makes my brain hurt.   Stefan made templates for me to mark off each of the rafters the appropriate amount.  He used a reciprocating to cut each rafter.  There was an experiment with a chainsaw, to see if it was the better tool.  The chainsaw was quickly abandoned, as it was faster, but not as friendly to the sheathing as the reciprocating saw.

After the rafters were cut,  the fascia was reinstalled and then a section was added to tie the 12/12 sections of the roof together as per the plans (12/12 sections are the sections of roof that are steeper than the dormers).  At the same time, we insulated and house wrapped most of the dormers.

This weekend was reduced to one day of building due to some fairly solid rain on Saturday.   Sunday was a beautiful clear and bright day.  It was also cold.  When we started in the morning, the ground was frozen.  I was showered with small pieces of  ice as the tarp was removed. Winter is around the corner.

Next week:  Windows and Doors! (weather permitting)

Ridge Beam and Dormer Framing

Last week, I had to delay building my roof because there was a delay at the sawmill where I ordered my ridge beam (which I keep wanting to call roof beam – new vocabularies make my brain work).  The 22′ 4″x6″ ridge beam was supposed to arrive Monday. Tuesday, I heard nothing from them so I called to check in, my ridge beam would be delivered by Thursday. Thursday morning, I called them to check where things were at… they didn’t know if they had even received the lumber yet.  I was not feeling very serene, calm or laid back as I waited for them to call me back to let me know if they had received it or not.  I anxiously waited for them to call,  I am not very good at waiting so I called them back and they had indeed received the lumber and they would deliver the next day.

Here comes the ridge beam.
Here comes the ridge beam.

In the end my ridge beam, interior and exterior siding were delivered Saturday morning at 7:15am.  Which worked out for the best as There was only one person delivering my order, if he had arrived Friday afternoon, I don’t think I would have been able to help him carry the ridge beam alone to my tiny house.  By the time he was ready to unload the ridge beam, Stefan had arrived and the ridge beam was unloaded.  I tried to help, but being at least 6 inches shorter than both Stefan and the gentleman from the sawmill, I was of little help as they carried the ridge beam on their shoulders.

The ridge beam sticking out of the large window opening.
The ridge beam sticking out of the large window opening.

With the delivery all stowed away and the ridge beam hanging out of the large window opening, Stefan and I began working on the rafters.  Stefan’s plan was to build the framing to support the ridge beam, get the ridge beam set in place, then build the 3 sections of roof at 45 degrees first, sheath them and then build the dormer sections of the roof.   We also, as per the plans, attached the sole plate (the piece of wood on top of the loft framing that the rafters and dormer framing would be attached to) through the flooring into the loft framing with lag bolts.  Julie and Julien, who attended the Yestermorrow course, were a great help.  By the end of Saturday, the ridge beam was in place, the 45 degree sections of the roof were sheathed, the sole plate was firmly attached and we were ready to build some dormers.

Sunday, saw the dormers built, one of the end sections of the house insulated, wrapped and the furring in place.  A big Thank You to Julie and Julien for coming out and helping with my build.

That's my Goodfellow Ridge beam!

That’s my Goodfellow Ridge beam!
A beam's view of my house.
A beam’s view of my house.
Cutting the extra house wrap off and installing the sill gasket before the sole plate goes on.
Cutting the extra house wrap off and installing the sill gasket before the sole plate goes on.
Rafters going in.
Rafters going in and bolts being ratcheted.
Sheathing going on.
Sheathing on.
Dormer framing
Dormer framing
End wall insulation using the cut off sections from the insulation that went on the main walls.  Each of the seams was covered with tuck tape.
End wall insulation using the cut off sections from the insulation that went on the main walls. Each of the seams was covered with tuck tape.
A house with dormer framing!
A house with dormer framing!