This weekend was limited to building on Saturday morning. Even though it was raining, Stefan wanted to get the dormers sheathed so that the house had a little more protection from the elements than an increasingly hole ridden blue tarp. So we set up another tarp to have a protected area to use the circular saw under. Here are pictures from that very rainy morning.
This past Saturday and Sunday so very much was accomplished. I am really happy. Stefan, the carpenter who has been hired to help with the build, was here bright and early to start building Saturday morning. The goal for Saturday was to complete the two long walls of the house and we did. The pace was quick and steady throughout the day. We built the first wall on the trailer bed, placed the fancy Simpson strong ties to attach the house to the trailer, squared the wall, tacked it down to the bed of the trailer so that it wouldn’t move, nailed in the strapping, and sheathed it. The second wall was built on top of the first wall. We trimmed off about 1 1/2 inches off the top of each of the bolts that are welded to the frame so that we didn’t have to lift the walls any higher than necessary.
It was a huge relief to be working with someone who builds and renovates homes for a living. I am more than happy to learn from someone else’s mistakes and not worry about making mistakes that could affect the stability of my home. Stefan spent some time researching and learning about tiny houses. I really appreciated that while he was looking over the plans for the house he found out why they are built differently than a traditional home.
Unfortunately, I don’t have many pictures of what we did on that first day, I don’t usually take pictures or think to take pictures. Here is a picture of the start of the day:
This is what we had at the end of the day:
Sunday morning, helpers came to help us raise the walls. Once again, I was very happy to have Stefan there to lead the wall raising. Negotiating raising the walls, getting them placed on the bolts and then braced went relatively smoothly and was done in under an hour. One of our helpers, a good friend who came with his children, stuck around for the rest of the day to help. Yay!
The front wall (by the trailer hitch) was built, squared, raised and secured into place. We sheathed that wall once it was in place we sheathed it and the ends of the long walls closest to it. With rain in the forecast put the tarp in place and worked with it draped over the top of the house as we finished up the afternoon starting on the back wall of the house. The day ended a little early and I am very happy with what we got done.