The second weekend of building with Stefan was really good. We had hoped that my ridge been would be here so that we could start working on the rafters, but the sawmill was unable to deliver my 22′ 4×6 ridge beam. Plans were changed – instead of rafters, we set out to finish the 4th wall of the house and the 4 walls ready for siding. I ordered 4’x8′ sheets of 1″ extruded polystyrene insulation to put around the house to help increase the Rvalue of my walls. Code in Québec calls for R25 in walls – in order to get that kind of Rvalue in my walls and keep as much interior space as possible, the exterior walls have to be insulated as well.
Before we insulated, we finished the 4th wall of the house which was different from the first three for several reasons. I have chosen to almost create a bay window in that end wall of the house. Doing so creates some interesting challenges in a tiny home. The plans for the house call for parallam posts and beams in that wall along with a threaded rod under the window and strapping around the edges. I could not find the exact posts and beams required and ended up with slightly smaller posts (1/4″ smaller on one side) and beams that were almost 2″ wider. Parallam is an engineered wood, quite beautiful to look at. It is also heavy. The wall went together pretty quickly and then we built the loft framing.
By the end of Saturday, we had the 4 walls built and sheathed. Sunday we only did a half day, we put up the insulation, wrapped the house with house wrap and then put up strapping until the nail gun ran out of nails. Not bad for a day and a half.
This past Saturday and Sunday so very much was accomplished. I am really happy. Stefan, the carpenter who has been hired to help with the build, was here bright and early to start building Saturday morning. The goal for Saturday was to complete the two long walls of the house and we did. The pace was quick and steady throughout the day. We built the first wall on the trailer bed, placed the fancy Simpson strong ties to attach the house to the trailer, squared the wall, tacked it down to the bed of the trailer so that it wouldn’t move, nailed in the strapping, and sheathed it. The second wall was built on top of the first wall. We trimmed off about 1 1/2 inches off the top of each of the bolts that are welded to the frame so that we didn’t have to lift the walls any higher than necessary.
It was a huge relief to be working with someone who builds and renovates homes for a living. I am more than happy to learn from someone else’s mistakes and not worry about making mistakes that could affect the stability of my home. Stefan spent some time researching and learning about tiny houses. I really appreciated that while he was looking over the plans for the house he found out why they are built differently than a traditional home.
Unfortunately, I don’t have many pictures of what we did on that first day, I don’t usually take pictures or think to take pictures. Here is a picture of the start of the day:
This is what we had at the end of the day:
Sunday morning, helpers came to help us raise the walls. Once again, I was very happy to have Stefan there to lead the wall raising. Negotiating raising the walls, getting them placed on the bolts and then braced went relatively smoothly and was done in under an hour. One of our helpers, a good friend who came with his children, stuck around for the rest of the day to help. Yay!
The front wall (by the trailer hitch) was built, squared, raised and secured into place. We sheathed that wall once it was in place we sheathed it and the ends of the long walls closest to it. With rain in the forecast put the tarp in place and worked with it draped over the top of the house as we finished up the afternoon starting on the back wall of the house. The day ended a little early and I am very happy with what we got done.