Finishing the trim and starting electrical brings Tiny Refuge another step closer to being lived in. Saturday we finished the rest of the trim. A word about the trim, it has taken a while to get through all of the trim because Stefan is making all of the trim out of leftover siding. There is a lot of leftover siding, which is ironic since I thought ironic since I was convinced in December that I was going to be really short on siding and that I would have to order a great deal more.
Making all of the trim is not the fastest process. Stefan cuts the pieces to a rough size, cutting off the groove edge and removing the tongue, cutting the siding to width on the table saw, adding chamfers either with the hand plane, the mitre saw or the table saw depending on the chamfer. The trim then gets sanded on all sides that are exposed, this was my job, the ¼ palm sander and I are very good friends now. Once the trim is sanded, if it’s not already cut to the exact size, the trim is cut to size and installed. The windows were pretty straightforward, with the exception of chamfers, there are no angled cuts on the window trim. The trim for the edges of the dormers and between the dormer walls and ceiling needed angled cuts, so there was a lot of cut, check the trim in place and repeat until it’s installed.
Sunday morning we finished the last pieces of trim until the floor goes in. The bathroom wall was built and sided fairly quickly. Then the electrical work started. The panel was placed and as the panel is in the bathroom, I didn’t get to see much of what was going on. There were moments of banging but it was mostly quiet steady work. Every time I checked on the panel the mess that was the wires that had been sitting there since January started looking more and more organized. Order from what had looked so chaotic. There were two wires coming to the panel that I didn’t label, so they took a short bit to figure out. I labelled by wires using different coloured electrical tape. I labelled each circuit and then made a list of the circuits using the same coloured tape.
Next week: more electrical and maybe some flooring!